INTERSOS Nigeria, an independent humanitarian organization, is looking for Medical Advisor/Medical Activity Manager. The position role includes, but is not limited to, planning and monitoring medical activities and programs in the project in accordance with INTERSOS protocols. The ideal candidate should possess Advanced University Degree in Medicine or other Paramedical Studies.
Medical Advisor/Medical Activity Manager Job at INTERSOS Nigeria
Job Title: Medical Advisor/Medical Activity Manager.
Job Location: Maiduguri, with frequent mission on the ground (Ngala, Bama, Dikwa and Magumeri (LGAs), Borno.
General Context of the Project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram driven crisis (herein, Armed Opposition Groups [AOGs]) has crippled north eastern Nigeria. The Borno State continues to be most the affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs) . Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 26 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is proposing to continue provide services through a one-year integrated project that will address critical gaps in health, nutrition, protection and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in host communities and IDPs camps in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Bama), Dikwa (Dikwa), Magumeri and Kukawua LGAs, Borno State, Nigeria.
In terms of health sector, INTERSOS intervention is articulated around two pillar:
- Reinforce the Health Systems, through train for health facilities staff including community health workers, nurses, nurse aids, and midwives on integrated management of childhood illnesses but also on screening for common outbreak prone diseases, case investigation and reporting mechanisms. INTERSOS will intervene for rehabilitation of health facilities structures and procurement of equipment for designated health activities as per the Basic Package of Essential Health Services. Mobile clinics will be organized to reach remote Wards of each targeted LGA.
- Improve reproductive health through provision of training and materials on GBV (included case management at heath facilities level), HIV counselling and testing and family planning
For what concern the nutrition sector of intervention, health facilities will be supported to introduce OTP services as part of a comprehensive CMAM program. In addition, INTERSOS will provide furniture; equipment and anthropometric tools according to caseload requirements to the identified health facilities, included mobile clinics ensuring that all identified SAM cases receive the required monitoring and therapeutic care. Both fixed health facilities and mobile clinics will benefit from the RUTF supply
In terms of WASH, the action plan to enhance hygiene promotion and increased knowledge on safe hygiene and sanitation at health facilities level, but also to improve the environment health through the implementation of a solid waste management at health facilities level, introducing the necessary knowledge, materials and infrastructures for it. At community level, clean-up campaigns will be organized and supported through the provision of materials encouraging communities to actively participate to maintain a healthy environment and identify safe locations for waste management.
Finally, concerning protection sector, the focus of the intervention will be on GBV identification, documentation and case management through individual and group PSS activities, while promoting awareness within the community and strengthening stakeholders knowledge and capacity in GBV prevention and response.
General Purpose of the Position
- Participates in defining, planning and monitoring medical activities and programs in the project in accordance with INTERSOS protocols as well as coordinates human and material related resources needed in order to ensure the quality of care provided by INTERSOS.
- Being responsible for the coordination of medical activities and resources in the mission if there is not the presence of a Medical Coordinator.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- In collaboration with the Project Manager, the Medical Coordinator and the rest of team defines, implements and monitors medical activities, according to INTERSOS project plans and mission strategy, standards and protocols
- Participates in exploratory missions, situation assessments (providing technical inputs and recommendations for new and ongoing interventions in the country and defining medical operational priorities when needed) and the development of the project policy, annual plan, budget review and project proposal and reports to donors.
- In coordination with the Project Manager, establish and maintain regular and collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, medical actors, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the target areas
- Proactively participate in cluster meetings and relevant inter-sectoral coordination meetings at field level, contributing to the development of guidelines, standards, tools and strategies
- Responsible for the medical data collection, analysis and reporting to the Medical Coordination through a correct use of internal databases and monitoring tools in order to ensure a proper monitoring of the program
- Provide technical support to medical personnel in the field through self-knowledge and policies, ensuring compliance with the protocols of INTERSOS medical activities
- Coordinate, supervise, coach, support and evaluate the medical team members’ performance to improve the medical components of the project and ensure compliance with INTERSOS protocols and standards
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the Project Manager, the associated processes (recruitment, training, induction, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the medical staffs of the project in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required and improve staffs capabilities
- Supervise an efficient management of the field pharmacy and medical equipment, in collaboration with the Logistics department. Monitor consumption and preparation of medical orders to provide drugs, medical materials, medical devices and consumables at all circumstances and avoid stock shortage
- In close coordination with the Project Manager and clusters, develop and establish internal and external functional and effective referral and coordination mechanisms at field level
- Implement the health policy for international and national staff, providing all prophylactic and preventive necessary measures, structures and emergency plans, managing any medical evacuation in order to ensure INTERSOS staff health
- In coordination with HQ Medical Unit being the focal person in case of absence of the Medical Coordinator to coordinate medical activities (opening and closure of mission, interim, reduced activities, etc…).
- Advanced University Degree in Medicine or other Paramedical Studies
- Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a Degree in Public Health
- Minimum 2 years relevant work experience as Medical referent in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Demonstrate experience with different donors compliance and reporting
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Strategic vision
- Results and quality orientation
- Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
- Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Ability to deliver high quality work in short periods of time
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Behavioural flexibility
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve effectively results
- Respect of INTERSOS mission and values
Apply Before: 6th June, 2018.
How to Apply: Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
About INTERSOS Nigeria.
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Check More Jobs at ››› INTERSOS Nigeria
PLEASE help others by Sharing This Job Opportunity on: